What we do
We are a permanent body created by the Constitution to manage free and fair elections at all levels of government. Although publicly funded and accountable to parliament, we are independent of the government.
In terms of Section 190 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 (PDF – 1.65 MB), we must –
- manage elections of national, provincial and municipal legislative bodies;
- ensure that those elections are free and fair;
- declare the results of those elections; and
- compile and maintain a voters’ roll.
Section 5 of the Electoral Commission Act, 1996 (PDF – 183 KB) requires that we:
- compile and maintain a register of parties;
- undertake and promote research into electoral matters;
- develop and promote the development of electoral expertise and technology in all spheres of government;
- continuously review electoral laws and proposed electoral laws, and make recommendations;
- promote voter education;
- declare the results of elections for national, provincial and municipal legislative bodies within seven days; and
- appoint appropriate public administrations in any sphere of government to conduct elections when necessary.
The Electoral Commission is an independent constitutional body which manages free and fair elections of legislative bodies and institutions through the participation of citizens, political parties and civil society in deepening electoral democracy.
To enable the Electoral Commission to serve the needs of stakeholders, including the electorate, political parties, the media and permanent and temporary staff, the organisation subscribes to the following organisational values:
Who can Apply?
- be a South African citizen;
- be at least 16 years old (you can only vote from age 18); and
- and have a green, bar-coded ID book; smartcard ID; or valid Temporary Identity Certificate (TIC).
Riverside Office Park
1303 Heuwel Avenue
To find your voting station you can work on, please go to https://maps.elections.org.za/vsfinder/ and search for your street address.
Subscribe for Updates
*Subscribe for latest Job Updates & Entertainment.